Magick and spellcasting comes from working with what is naturally within you and all around you. The seasons, the tides, the energies of the planet and environment. Contrary to popular belief, it is not as mysterious or mystical as pop-culture has portrayed it.
A spell in essence, is the gathering and focus of energy which is then used for creation. Everything that we consciously or unconsciously, do, say, and think creates something new in our lives. This can happen through what naturally comes to fruition as a result of the energies given off when we interact with the mental, physical, and spiritual parts of our lives. As everything is created through vibration, everything that comes out from us, whether it be thought, words, deeds, rituals, and so forth, sends out an energy into the world. What follows afterwards leads to further creation and manifestation of it into the world.
Something that I have seen a lot of is spells for skateboarders who may or may not even know that what they are doing in their board setup rituals are spells themselves. Some cut out images into the griptape of their skateboards, or draw or write little symbols or words onto it. This is to embed the board with the magickal blessings of the power of these symbols and words.
I had a friend who used to grab a corner of his shirt and make a sign of the cross before filming each of his tricks. A bit like his way of acknowledging his power and giving him his confidence to overcome all and succeed, to which he did most of the time.
Aside from the little rituals that I have noticed in some skateboarders, I would like to comment on the nature of connecting with the five elements as a skateboarder and how this has assisted the process of learning, progressing, having fun, and creating physically through movement, and visually through video filming and editing;
- Feeling my board under my feet is my most obvious connection to Earth when I am out skateboarding. A connection to the element of Earth is also made in rolling around in the environment, whether it be in the park or in the street and making your own personal connection with your surroundings, be in wheels, boards, hands, feet and so on.
- Fire makes its connection in skateboarding through the passion which comes from creativity and inspiration. The fire is always lit as the possibilities to skateboard at a spot are limitless. I also feel that fire is the drive that comes from wanting to create something, whether it be landing a trick or filming a trick for someone else, that makes us switch into a trance-like state to override and overcome doubt, fear, and anyone or anything that tries to stand in the way.
- The element of Air comes from not only being off the ground, but in the way that logic and thought ties in with being able to make those quick decisions and coordinate body and mind as one unit. Air also makes its connection present through applying wisdom and knowledge of how a concept will initally play out in this game!
- The element of Water comes with being able to imagine and visualise and make that a reality. Imagining the possibilities, rolling up to something, doing something, and rolling away. See it in your mind and feel it in your body. Smile at success! Looking at a spot in a unique and skating it in an intuitive way, that is the essence of connecting to the element of water. Go with the flows, notice the tides - when is your street spot best to skate? Is road or human traffic affected by the timing of when you go there?
- Spirit makes its presence noticed on a skateboard through the feeling of simply being when all of these elements work together and fun is had. Looking back on the end of the day, whether it be in reflection or taking a look at photos or video footage, it is such an inspiring and empowering feeling.
Reflecting on skateboarding and the influence of the elements, I am proud to openly declare that I, am a spellcaster. I work with what is natural, and that is magick. Intention into action, focus into the hocus and the pocus. There is nothing mystical or mysterious about it. It is all very real, far more real than we any of us have ever realised. I am sure that you are a spellcaster yourself as well. Knowing this, you can live and lead a more mindful and present life, creating all the things that are for your highest good!
I'm sure that there are many other spells or rituals that can be seen as "spells", due to the purpose they serve and the meaning which they have been given over the years. If you would like to post about your own instances of spellcasting in your everyday life, we would love to hear more from you. Thank you :)
Blessings and love,
Nathan and Friends O:)
Have a think about some of the rituals in your life and see if you can discover any insights into their origins, and reflect on the intention and impacts that they have on your life.